Training for Instructors of Beginning and Intermediate Level Workshops
5 day intensive at Hacienda Mosaico
“I am so happy to be returning to Hacienda Mosaico this Spring to teach an exciting new workshop…
After training literally thousands of students over the past two and a half decades, I have decided it’s a great
time to offer instruction and support for current and future mosaic instructors to take out into the world. Many of my
former students have expressed a desire to teach mosaic workshops, others are dipping their toes in and
say they would love some guidance and support.
I have carefully developed this workshop in order to pass on my knowledge and experience to
help educate great teachers. “ — Laurel True
Artist Laurel True brings 25 years of experience in mosaic instruction, curriculum development, and business of mosaics to an intensive workshop focusing on teacher training for mosaic artists at Hacienda Mosaico.
This 5-day intensive workshop provides participants with a unique opportunity to learn organization and methodology for running mosaic workshops for beginning and intermediate level students.
This immersive experience is great for people who want to both take part in the tradition of passing on their knowledge and skills, and enjoy the fulfillment that comes from teaching others, while generating some extra income.
Teaching Mosaics is appropriate for both new teachers and experienced educators who would like to refine or add mosaic techniques to their teaching practice.
Laurel will present organizational and marketing strategies, tips on designing workshops for students of various skill levels, and methodology for teaching mosaic techniques effectively using glass, ceramic, and mixed media.
Workshop includes hands-on studio time during which workshop participants will be guided in the creation of a set of useful teaching tools to take home, including a set of essential sample boards and visual aids that illustrate materials, techniques, color, pattern and setting styles (these will be lightweight and easy to pack). Students will also experiment with various sample projects that illustrate how beginning and intermediate skills are developed.
An extensive training manual will be included in the workshop fee, as well as sample design patterns and templates for class handouts. Resources will be given for ordering wholesale material, studio supplies, and tools.
Mornings will include discussions around the philosophy of teaching, personal goals and expectations, group dynamics, as well as addressing joys and fears, aligning one’s teaching practice with core values and how teaching others can greatly contribute to our own well-being.
Students will come away from the workshop with the confidence, knowledge, and knowledge needed to be a great teacher.
Each student will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the workshop from the Global Mosaic Project.
Additional topics covered:
- Design, timing and structure of mosaic workshops (single and multiple day, ongoing)
- Organizing information delivery
- Subject specific workshops
- Workshops away from studio
- Classroom set-up and safety
- Syllabi and teaching notes
- Flow and timing of information delivery
- Effective demonstration of proper tool use and setting techniques
- Student relations and keeping workshops on track
- Tips for pricing and promoting workshops and classes for different markets
- Budgeting for materials, tools and supplies
- Formalizing agreements with host venues/ teaching spaces
- Dos and dont’s during workshop/ while teaching
- Fostering a positive experience for students
- Images of classroom setups, classes in session, organizations of rooms, and examples of beginner and intermediate student work
- 32 hours over 5 days of seminar-style information presentation and hands-on learning
- Certificate of Completion
- Handout templates for beginning and intermediate workshops covering vocabulary, adhesives, materials, tools, substrates, and grouting
- Extensive resource sheets for wholesale and discount materials
- Sample syllabuses and organizational structure for 1/2 day, 1 day, 2 day and multi-class ongoing workshops
- Tools, supplies, and materials checklists needed for teaching and studio set-up
Advance copy of Laurel’s upcoming book, Teaching Mosaics: Essential Knowledge for Mosaic Instructors in .pdf format
6 nights in colorful, inspiring accommodations
Healthy and nourishing breakfast and lunch
More info and to register: