Training for Instructors of Beginning and Intermediate Level Workshops
5-Day Intensive in New Orleans with Laurel True
October 12 - 15, 2017
Wednesday 6 - 8 pm
Thursday - Sunday 9 - 4 pm
$975, All materials included
Students should be intermediate to advanced level or consent of instructor.
Prospective students: Please send statement of interest before registering bullet-pointing experience in mosaic making, education and/or teaching, or other relevant experience.
“After training literally thousands of students over the past two and a half decades, I have decided it’s a great time to offer instruction and support for current and future mosaic instructors to take out into the world. Many of my former students have expressed a desire to teach mosaic workshops, others are dipping their toes in and say they would love some guidance and support. I have carefully developed this workshop in order to pass on my knowledge and experience to help educate great teachers.” — Laurel True
Artist Laurel True brings 25 years of experience in mosaic instruction, curriculum development, and arts entrepreneurship to this intensive training for prospective teachers of mosaic art.
This 5- day workshop will provide participants with a unique opportunity to learn about workshop planning, teaching methodology, technical skill-sharing and fostering a positive experience for beginning and intermediate level mosaic students.
This immersive experience will be great for people who want to experience the fulfillment that comes from teaching others, while generating some extra income. Teaching Mosaics is appropriate for both new and experienced educators who would like to refine or add mosaic techniques to their teaching practice.
Laurel will present organizational and marketing strategies, tips on designing workshops of different lengths for students of various skill levels, and pedagogy for teaching mosaic techniques effectively using glass, ceramic, and mixed media.
Workshop includes hands-on studio time during which workshop participants will be guided in the creation of a set of useful teaching tools to take home, including a set of essential sample boards and visual aids that illustrate materials, techniques, color, pattern and setting styles. Students will experiment with various sample projects that illustrate how beginning and intermediate skills are developed.
A training manual will be included in the workshop fee, as well as sample design patterns and templates for class handouts. Resources will be given for ordering wholesale materials, studio supplies and tools.
Mornings will include discussions around the philosophy of creativity, personal goals and expectations and group dynamics, as well as addressing joys and fears, aligning one’s teaching practice with core values, and how teaching others can greatly contribute to our own well-being.
Students will come away with the confidence, knowledge, and knowledge needed to be a great teacher.
Each student will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the workshop from The Global Mosaic Project.
Additional topics covered:
- Design, timing and structure of mosaic workshops (single. multiple day and ongoing)
- Subject specific workshops
- Workshops away from studio
- Classroom set-up and safety
- Syllabi and teaching notes
- Flow and timing of information delivery
- Effective demonstration of proper tool use and setting techniques
- Student relations and keeping workshops on track
- Tips for pricing and promoting workshops and classes for different markets
- Budgeting for materials, tools and supplies
- Formalizing agreements with host venues/ teaching spaces
- Dos and dont’s while teaching
- Fostering a positive experience for students
- Images of classroom setups, classes in session, and examples of beginner and intermediate student work
- Almost 30 hours of seminar-style information presentation and hands-on learning
- Certificate of Completion
- Handout templates for beginning and intermediate workshops covering vocabulary, adhesives, materials, tools, substrates and grouting
- Extensive resource sheets for wholesale and discount materials
- Sample syllabuses and organizational structure for 1/2 day, 1 day, 2 day and multi-class ongoing workshops
- Tools, supplies, and materials checklists needed for teaching and studio set-up
Limit 10 students
Click here for visitor information.
Shared lodging available (double occupancy, limit 4)